Best Ice Makers of 2018 Reviewed
In the past, ice was a luxury that not many people could afford. Nowadays, most of us take it for granted. After all, what could possibly be so special about frozen water, especially since you can easily buy it from virtually any corner store or make it yourself by storing an ice tray into your freezer?
In reality, ice is a vital component of any good drink, whether we are talking about alcoholic or non-alcoholic,as well as many foods. If you are the type of person who likes to enjoy a good drink now on then, or you host large gatherings of people on a regular basis, you might want to consider purchasing an ice maker.
To help you choose the best icemaker for your needs, we have compiled a small list of products that might be up your alley.
1. Hoshizaki AM 50 BAE Ice Maker
Number one on our list of best ice makers is this reliable model from Hoshizaki, a robust model that can churn out huge quantities of ice every day. A first look at the Hoshizaki AM 50BAE product description might be confusing, as the machine appears to have been designed for commercial use rather than personal use.However, despite its large size (26 x 18 x 37 inches) and weight (115 pounds), it fits surprisingly well into a household setting thanks to its versatility, excellent production output and ease of use.
Here are a few of the main features that make this model from Hoshizaki a worthwhile investment:
- It has a huge storage capacity of 22 pounds,
- It can generate up to 55 pounds of ice in a single day,
- Generates ice through the use of a neat, air condensing technology,
- Decent energy consumption.
However, in order to use this ice maker, you will need to make some adjustments to your house:
- Since simply plugging the machine in will not be enough, you will need to connect it to a water line. This might seem like a drag at first, but this system will not only speed up the production process, but it will reduce your overall water consumption.
- Because the machine has no water recycling system included, you will need to connect it to a floor drain.
Other than that, the Hoshizaki is a sound option for people with high ice demands.
2. Della Portable Ice Maker
If you are in the market for an ice maker, but do not want to spend the world on a unit, then you should look no further than this portable model from Della. Costing around $100, it has a production output of about 26 pounds of ice per day, which is more than enough to cover a family’s day to day ice consumption. Although its storage capacity (1.5 pounds) is nothing to write home about, its ice generation speed makes it so that you will never have to hold much ice in storage anyway.
The Della Portable Ice Maker comes with several features that users will surely find useful:
- A sturdy, removable tray,
- Ice scoop,
- Intuitive push-button controls,
- Compact size that makes it ideal for cramped kitchens.
3. Whynter UIM-155
If you crave for the versatility of an ice maker that can be both freestanding and built, this model from Whynter might be just what you’re looking for. With a production output of 12 pounds of ice in 24 hours and a storage capacity of 6 pounds, this model is ideal for families that do not have a very high daily ice demand, but like the idea of owning an ice maker. Other factors that make this model worth the investment are as follows:
- One-button controls,
- Ice scoop,
- Front venting,
- Does not require a drain in order to function properly,
- Its stainless steel and black model make it a good fit in many kitchen configurations.Furthermore, costing around $350, it is one of the most budget-friendly built-in ice makers. Therefore, if you value versatility and ease of use, make sure to give the Whynter UIM a shot.
4. Igloo ICE 103 Ice Maker
The Igloo Ice 103 is one of the best options in terms of portable ice makers. With a production output of 26 pounds of bullet-shaped ice, as well as a storage capacity of 2.2 pounds, it is ideal for tight kitchens and camping trips. Furthermore, if you are picky about cube size, you will be happy to know that this device is capable of producing three sizes: small, medium and large. As for its other features, the Igloo comes with the following:
- A removable ice bucket,
- Push button controls,
- An ice scoop,
- An indicator that warns users when the unit has reached full capacity, or if it needs more water.
All in all, if you are looking for a portable device with great production output and lots of options, the Igloo ICE 103 meets all those demands.
Ice makers have been experiencing a sudden rise in the last few years, which is very surprising when you consider the fact that there are still many people who find them unnecessary luxuries. If you have high ice demands and like the convenience of owning a dedicated ice maker, make sure to give one of these products a go.