Is It Safe To Drink Tap Water?
Australia has strict guidelines regarding the quality of the water when it leaves the treatment plant. This should be enough to reassure you that the tap water is safe to drink.
However, if this is the case then why do 26% of households use a water filter?
The Real Concern With Water
There are two factors that need to be considered when looking at the water which arrives at your home:
1. The Journey
Your water has to meet the specified standard before it leaves the water treatment works. This is verified by regular testing to ensure that it is safe for you to drink.
However, it then travels hundreds of miles through pipes. These pipes are usually buried and not easy to check. There are plenty of opportunities for the pipes to develop small cracks. These can allow bacteria back into the water.
The water can also pick up debris through these cracks or from the inside of the pipes.
These bacteria and the debris are then carried through to your home. Unless you checking the quality of the tap water at home then you can’t be certain that it is the same as the water that left the plant.
This is one reason why many people turn to suppliers like Filtap to have water filters fitted at home.
2. The Chemicals
To kill bacteria the water company will add a range of chemicals. The biggest one is generally chlorine.
Chlorine is known to kill bacteria and prevent the spread of water-borne diseases.
However, chlorine is also linked with detrimental effects to your health.
One of the biggest concerns is that long-term exposure to chlorine will encourage the production of free radicals in your body. These are known to be carcinogenic and dramatically increase the risk of you contracting cancer.
Chlorine is also an irritant; causing skin irritation and even respiratory issues. It is released to your skin when you sweat.
You’ll also find that chlorine is responsible for the distinctive tang you get from tap water; it is not pure water.
When you use a carbon filter to remove the chlorine and other chemicals you’ll quickly notice the difference in the taste of your water.
Fluoride is added to tap water as it is believed to help prevent tooth decay. This is great!
Unfortunately, excessive amounts of chlorine can also lead to health issues and one study has even linked this to an increased chance of developing a hip fracture in old age.
While it has some benefit these can be obtained by absorbing fluoride from your toothpaste and even your diet.
Although lead pipes are being phased out there are still plenty of them in existence. Lead poisoning has been shown to cause learning issues in children and can slow development.
This is easily absorbed by the water as it passes through the pipes; your filter will stop it getting into your body.
Technically tap water is safe to drink, but if you really want to look after your body you’ll use a filter and control what substances are allowed in your body.