6 Things to Consider when Hiring Plumbers
Your plumbing system is one of the most critical aspects of your household operation, so a qualified and experienced plumber should do any minor or major repair. Make sure to entrust your plumbing system to a trusted and reputable plumbing company to save yourself from trouble and inconvenience.
Here are the important things you need to take into consideration when choosing a plumber:
Plumbing requires years of training and experience. Considering the credentials of a plumber or plumbing company is not disputable. It’s a must to ask whether a plumber is licensed, insured, and certified by the state to perform plumbing inspection, maintenance, and repair.
Here are the credentials you need to look for:
- Degree in plumbing or technical school
- Plumbing apprentice course certification
- Contractor’s license for master plumbers issued by Contractors State License Board or CSLB
- Worked as a journeyman plumber, foreman, supervisor, or owner-builder for a plumbing company for four years master plumber
Don’t take any chances, hire a plumber with years of experience to get the job done right the first time. Doing so will save you time, money, and effort, and you have a peace of mind that your plumbing system is in good hands.
Assess the experience of a plumber by doing the following:
- Ask the number of years the plumber has been in the business (excluding the on-the-job experience).
- Get at least three references and contact each to know how long previous clients have been working with the plumbing company.
- Get referrals from relatives and friends who have years of experience working with a trusted and reputable plumber.
Unlike unlicensed plumbers, full-service plumbing companies offer a wide range of services with complete supplies, tools, and equipment. A good plumbing company only employs qualified and skilled plumbers to ensure the quality of work, like what expertplumbers.org offers.
Here are some of the most common services offered by a full-service plumbing company:
- Leak Repair: single leak, multiple leaks, or complete repiping
- Drain Cleaning: Clogged kitchen and bathroom sinks
- Toilet Repair: Problems with flushing, clogging, and toilet overflows
- Garbage Disposal Repair: Leaks, jamming, or making a strange noise
- Water Heater Services: Water heater installation and repair
- Sewer Repair: Slow draining, foul smells, and unusual noises
- Hydro Jetting: Wash away any debris or grime that clog your plumbing
The best plumbing companies offer a guarantee of plumbing services performed. The standard warranty coverage is one to two years on workmanship and materials, depending on the state you live.
Here are the questions you can ask concerning warranty:
- What type of warranty do you offer?
- What does the warranty cover?
- Will you be the one to fix any issues that may arise during the warranty period?
- Do you have an intended customer support line I can call if problems arise?
Hiring a plumber also entails considering the best qualities or character traits to ensure a smoother and faster resolution. It’s crucial to work with someone who can quickly grasp the plumbing issue and one who can explain what went wrong to avoid the same problem in the future.
Here are the qualities you need to look for when hiring a plumber:
- Communication Skills: It’s important to choose a plumber who can speak English fluently to avoid communication gap that can prolong the inspection and repair process. Also, make sure that you’ll be able to contact the plumber any time if you encounter problems after the repair.
- Problem-solving Skills: From water filters, sink, to sewage problems, a good plumber can identify plumbing minor and major plumbing problems with a keen eye even with minimal information provided.
- Flexible: A good plumber can handle unexpected issues, always ready with appropriate tools and equipment, and knows how to resolve problems promptly.
The quality of work sometimes reflects on the price. That’s why you should not merely hire one because of a cheaper cost because plumbing emergencies arise unexpectedly, requiring attention from a qualified and experienced plumber. Choose a plumber that offers a reasonable and competitive price.
Here are the questions you can ask concerning pricing:
- What are the services included in the price?
- Does the cost cover fixing minor adjacent issues?
- What are the extra fees you usually charge?
- How do you bill your customers? Do you have a fixed rate per day, per project, or an hourly rate?
Choosing the right plumber or plumbing company will ensure that your plumbing system will be under the hands of an expert. It prevents errors and gets the job done as quickly as possible so you can use your kitchen and bathroom without delay and hassle. Considering the credentials, experience, services offered, warranty, and pricing assures you that you’ll make the right decision for the best results.